Christopher Hoff

I was really moved by Christopher Hoff's tribute website tonight.  He died of natural causes a year ago, but before that he was a plein air painter in Seattle.  He seems to have been drawn to industrial landscapes not typically recorded.  His dedication to painting on site infused these paintings with rich emotion and vibrant color.  Sometimes a painting would take a year.  That's incredible dedication.  Having walked and biked around much of Seattle, these paintings bring back memories...





"My daily practice as an urban plein-air painter is the means by which I uncover meaning in the world around me. For the past fifteen years my work has explored the poetic stillness of the mundane through the lens of observational painting. Working on location, sometimes for more than a year at a single site, my brush both documents and revises with each passing day. Paying witness to this change, translating the cyclical ebb and flow of nature, culture, and commerce into paint compels me to go back outside each day. My intention is not to create something removed from experience, but rather to weave the shared experiences of hundreds of these moments back into one resonant and handmade surface."  Christopher Martin Hoff